Go to content Go to menu

N 4 - Unesco recommends Telč and Třebíč

departure from Brno 9 hours

Brno - Třebíč - Telč - Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou  - Brno

return to Brno 18 hours

price 20 Eur os

min 2 paying persons

include: Memory DVD with pictures and video from this trip, snack, 1 bottle of beer or mineral   water, cola, sprite 0.5 liters,  transportation and guide

something interesting to see along the way: 

AwayTo Třebíč  we drive through the beautiful countryside of the Bohemian-Moravian highlands around lforests. We pass the castle in Náměšť to the celebration of Třebíč.

Třebíč                               city website

Třebíč – town with history

Třebíč is situated in the Vysočina region and it is the 2nd biggest town of the region. Třebíč is located in the southwestern part of the Bohemia-Moravian highlands spreading out on the both sides of the Jihlava river. At the present time, the population is almost 38 000 inhabitants.

The beginnings of the town are connected with a remarkable Benedictine monastery which was founded by Moravian princes in 1101. In 1270 the town of Třebíč was founded by abbot Martin. The milestone for Třebíč was the year 1468 when the town was almost destroyed during the war between Matthias Corvinus and George of Poděbrady. In 1525 the monastery became the seat of secular lords of Pernštejn, Osovský and Valdštejn. For many centuries, Třebíč was an important economic, administrative, political and cultural centre of southwest Moravia.

An important cultural and historical event for the town was the year 2003 when the St. Procopius´ basilica and the Jewish Quarter with Jewish cemetery were incorporated into the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites. These monuments are theproof, that Jewish and Christian communities could live side by side, which was one of the reasons for entry into the prestigious list. These sights became already the 12th UNESCO monument in the Czech Republic and Třebíč is the third UNESCO site of the Vysočina region.

Telč                             city website

 

Historical background 

According to the local legend, the foundation of Telč is connected with the victory of the 
Moravian Duke Otto II. over the CzechDuke Břetislav in1099. It is said that in the memory of the battle the victor established first a chapel, later a church and then a community, which is the Old Town today. The only historical proof is the documentation of a seigniorial estate and watch tower with a little church, which was the residence of the royal administrator. This royal property, Telč was paid out by Charles IV, firstly it was redeemed (1335) and secondly it was exchanged with Jindřich of Hradec for the border castle Banov (1339). This family started founding a new Telč. Menhart of Hradec is supposed to have built the castle, church, water fortification and Gothic houses around the large marketplace. The town started to expand after 1354, and in spite of rapid development

 

– it was granted the rigth to carry out capital sentences and the right to hold annual markets 

by Charles IV, it used to suffer from fires (in 1386 the whole western half of the square including the church and town hall were burnt out) and later still from the Hussites rebellions.

According to the Town Chronicle established in 1359 (and later lost) the town of Telč was –  xcept for the castle – conquered in 1423 by the Hussites´army led by Jan Hvězda of Vicemilice. The recovery ot the town required quite a long time, although it was awarded additional privileges in the fifteenth century (fairs, brewing, the sale of salt).

Zachariáš of Hradec takes over the Telč estate and both the town and castle enjoy the period 
of prosperity. This enlightened and rich magnate (also thanks to the mariage with Kateřina of Wallenstein) greatly renovates the Gothic castle and constructs joining it a chateau in the Renaissance style. Italian workmen invited to the castle help the burghers to rebuild the Gothic dwellings into the neat houses with attractive facades and arcades. At the same time the town water mains and new hospital were built, and new ponds, trades and new ways of  management were established. Zachariáš as well as other men of the Hradec family die without male offspring, and thus Lucie Ottilie, sister of the last of them brings her husband, Vilém Slavata (a well-known governor who had played his role within the Prague Defenestration in 1618) to the Telč estate (as well as to Hradec), together with a new noble family.

The rule of the Slavatas was affected by the Thirty Years’ War. Telč as well as the whole region 
suffers under the Swedish (and also the Imperial) Armies. In 1645 for a short period the town was even occupied and plundered by the Swedish forces. The estate was managed by the men of the family (Vilém, Jáchym Oldřich, Ferdinand Vilém), the history of the town was, however, most influenced by Jáchym’s widow whose maiden name was Františka, the Countess of Meggau. She invited the Jesuits to Telč, she had their college built directly opposite the chateau (1655), also the Church of the Name of Jesus (1667) was built, and the former malting house below the parish church was reconstructed to the hostel of St. Angels (resembling a temple music school), in addition she founded a new cemetery at Podoli (1676). At the same time also the Jesuit Latin Grammar School, pharmacy and meteorological centre were founded.

The Slavatas rule also ended without any male progeny and the last son of Františka, Jan Karel Jáchym, the general superior of the Carmelite Order, in spite of the Pope’s Dispensation refuses to return to the family estate.

Thus the Lichtenstein-Kastelkorn family succeed to Telč, but again the first of them – František 
Antonín (who built the church of St. Jan z Nepomuku and widened the chapel of St. Vojtěch) dies in 1761 without a heir. His relative on the distaff side, Alois the Count Podstatsky, unified the coast-of-arms of both the families in 1762. Then the Podstatsky-Lichtensteins managed the Telč estate until 1945 when the last members of the family were espelled to Austria. 
The befinning of the 18th century was characterised by oppression from the holders of 
authority, but then it is possible to register the rise of the middle-class, and the wealthy townspeople help beautify their town with public fountains, the Marian Column, statues and chapels. In the second half of the century the town experiences the reforms of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II: in 1773 righs of the Jesuit Order were cancelled (the college is rebuilt into an army barracks) one year later the same happened to the Grammar School while the church of the Holy Spirit and other chapels were cancelled in 1785. This period seems to be the beginnings of germanisation at schools, in the public life and even in the families.

The beginning of the 19th century represents the rise of industrialisation. The Lang factory  
manufacturing cloths begins in the former Slavata’s yard, this factory had as many as 600 employees. The second half of the 19th century brings a reinforcement of national political maturity. An important role was played by the schools founded in 1852. Thanks to the teachers  and professors as well as to all the others who were operating there (publisher Šolc and others) there rose a few associations (the Civic Beseda, Omladina (a youth association), Sokol, the National Unity) and Telč played an important role within the whole region of Southwest Moravia.
With regard to communications, the isolation of the town ended by the construction of the 
railway connecting Kostelec with Telč in 1898 and by its additional branch leading from Telč via

Slavonice to Schwarzenau in Austria.

Also new cultural and economic life started to develop. No matter how much Telč vitalised, 
grew and spread, the inner town between the ponds and gates has kept the beautiful charm of the days of Zachariáš. And this is the main reason for which the historical heart of the town was registered in 1992 on the UNESCO¨s List of World Cultural Heritage sites.

Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou               city website

Jaroměřice over Rokytnou smaller town in southwestern Moravia. Currently, 4,260 inhabitants. The origin of the town emblem relates an interesting tale of particularly massive shooting deer on the spot where the city was founded. Oni longtime successful hunter was Prince of Jaromir dynasty. On this day holds town hall with an extremely large antlers šestnácteráka. The town is dominated baroque palace complex, which includes in addition to building the castle church.

Margaret and the castle garden, situated on both banks of the river Rokytná. The public is also accessible Otokar Brezina Museum, the house where the poet lived, which came as a teacher at the local school and lived modestly in here Jaroměřická seclusion. The country in which the city is located, belongs largely to Jaromericka basin and the rest of the territory Znojemské hills.

Of particular interest is the valley of the river in the direction of Rokytná APPROACHES. This natural park is ideal for trips and walks, where the targets may be shrouded Justýnka old rock legend from the time of the Turkish invasions in Moravia. Altitude Jaroměřická is 400-500 mbiggest areas occupy the field, meadow and forest culture that predispose kv region very widespread agricultural use. In 4000 peoples city in addition to larger companies also manage small-scale andmedium business. Small business is mainly focused on the production of woodworking,agriculture and hospitality.

 

 
 

Articles

Wellness stay for two at the 4 * guesthouse in Trebic discount 48% for 2190 CZK

2012-12-08

 
Entire article
 

 

 
Používáme technologii cookies ke zkvalitnění poskytování našich služeb. Procházením stránky souhlasíte s jejich používáním. Více informací můžete najít na této stránce.×